Edwin Smith - Chartered Accountants
  • Home
  • About Edwin Smith
  • Accounting Services
  • Contact Edwin Smith

April 2013 email newsletter

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 30th, 2013

To view a copy of our April 2013 newsletter please click here.

Please also consider subscribing by using the link on the left hand side.

Filed under: Newsletters

Submitting forms P11D, P11Db and P9D for 2012/13

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 29th, 2013

Many small employers have probably used HMRC’s Basic PAYE Tools package in the past for filing expenses and benefit forms P11D, P11Db and P9D. These forms are the Employer’s annual return of expenses payments and benefits paid to employees which need to be submitted to HMRC by 6 July 2013. 

From 6 April 2013 HMRC’s basic PAYE Tools package will no longer have the function to submit these forms.

As a reminder forms P11D are for employees earning at a rate of more than £8,500 p.a. including expenses payments and benefits and P9D for those under £8,500 p.a. P11D forms would be required for directors even if under £8,500. 

If you don’t have your own commercial package with the facility to submit these forms then you can use the HMRC PAYE online services which will allow you to complete the necessary details and submit the information on line. 

You need to be registered for PAYE online services HM Revenue & Customs: Register for HMRC taxes and sign up for online services but this should be done anyway as part of PAYE RTI. 

The P11D/P9D function under PAYE online services will lead you through the process of completing the form and highlight the various categories of expenses and benefits that may apply to the employee concerned. Once the P11D information has been completed for all employees then you will be asked to complete form P11Db as part of the submission process. A copy of the submitted form P11D can be printed out to provide the employee. 

Forms P9D can be completed in a similar way using these services. For more details on types of expenses and benefits to include on forms P11D and P9D see HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits A to Z

Paper forms can be completed if preferred and can be downloaded from the following HMRC links. 

Form P11D.pdf ,  Form P11Db.pdf and  Form P9D.pdf 

Once completed you should then post the paper forms to the following address. 

Room BP2101
Lindisfarne House
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ 

For assistance with completing your year end forms or for further information on the above topic please contact us

Filed under: Employers, PAYE, Tax

Real Time Information : Basic PAYE tools problems

Posted by: CarolineMeredith on April 23rd, 2013

Many of our small clients who run payroll themselves are using the HMRC basic tools software to do so.

We have received a few enquiries regarding problems with the software.

HMRC have a dedicated area for service issue problems for the Basic PAYE tools software on their website and this can be found in the service issues area of the website.

HMRC have also issued guidance on the Basic PAYE tools error messages on their website.

For any general questions, then do remember to talk to your usual contact.

Filed under: Employers, PAYE, Tax

Private residence – relief from capital gains tax

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 22nd, 2013

Private residence relief is available for capital gains tax on the disposal of your own home if you satisfy both of the following two conditions for the whole time you have owned it (subject to any restrictions below applying):

  1. The property has been your only home or main residence
  2. You have used it as your home and nothing else


This relief may also be available if you sell part of the garden without selling your home at the same time.

If you do not satisfy both the above conditions then you will need to work out the period of ownership for the purposes of calculating the relief. This commences on the later of the date of purchase or 31 March 1982, and ends on the date of disposal. As long as the property has been your only or main home at some point during your period of ownership, the last three years (36 months) always qualify for relief even if you did not live there in that period. From 6 April 2014 this has been reduced to 18 months for the final period of ownership - . Other periods of absence from the home may qualify for full relief, if for example you have been working away from home in certain circumstances or were unable to take up residence within the first 12 months of ownership.

There are restrictions to the relief if:

  1. The garden or grounds, including the site of the house, are larger than 5,000 square metres
  2. Part of the home has been exclusively used for business purposes
  3. You have let out all or part of your home – but you may qualify for letting relief
  4. The main reason you bought it was to make a profit from a quick sale


The maximum amount of letting relief due is the lower of:

  1. £40,000
  2. the amount of private residence relief due
  3. the amount of the gain arising by reason of the letting


If you have two or more homes, a nomination can be made to HMRC advising which property is to be treated as the main home as you are only entitled to private residence relief on one home. Nominations must be made within two years of the date from which you change the number of properties you live in. Each time you change the number of properties you live in a new nomination should be made. If a nomination is not made HMRC will decide which property to treat as your main home based on the facts.

The above is a brief summary of relief. Further information can be obtained from HMRC website or if you require further help please contact us

Filed under: Self Assessment, Tax

Registering for self-employment and national insurance

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 15th, 2013

If you have commenced self-employment you should register with HMRC as soon as you start business. This can be done online with HMRC. If you are taking on employees in your new business you can also register for a PAYE scheme at the same time as your online registration. 

The latest date to register is by 5 October after the tax year has ended so any self-employment which started in 2012/13 must be registered with HMRC by 5 October 2013. Normally, paper tax returns must be then be filed by 31 October after the end of the tax year or by 31 January after the end of the tax year if your return is done on line.  Any tax outstanding is also due by 31 January after the end of the tax year. For 2012/13 and assuming the return is done on line the tax return and payment of tax is due by 31 January 2014. If you register late you may incur a penalty. 

If you are self-employed you normally have to pay class 2 and class 4 national insurance contributions and you register for this when you register your business as above. 

Class 2 national insurance contributions are due at a flat rate per week, £2.70 for 2013/14. You can choose to pay your class 2 contributions either by monthly or six monthly direct debit, or you can pay in January and July in response to payment requests from HMRC which each cover a period of 26 weeks. Exceptions to class 2 NIC liability are detailed at HMRC along with further information.

Class 4 national insurance contributions are due on annual profits over a certain amount and are calculated and paid when calculating your annual tax liability. For 2013/14 the class 4 is calculated as 9% of annual profits between £7,755 and £41,450 plus 2% on profits over £41,450. Exceptions to class 4 NIC liability are detailed at HMRC along with further information. 

If you require further help please contact us

VAT fuel scale charge changes from 1 May 2013

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 10th, 2013

VAT fuel scale charges, for taxing private use of road fuel, are amended for periods commencing on or after 1 May 2013.

The scale charge for a particular vehicle is determined by its CO2 emissions figure. Where the CO2 emissions figure of a vehicle is not a multiple of five, the figure is rounded down to the next multiple of five to determine the level of the charge. For a bi-fuel vehicle which has two CO2 emissions figures, the lower of the two figures should be used.

For cars which are too old to have a CO2 emissions figure HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have prescribed a level of emissions by reference to the vehicle's engine capacity (cc) as follows:

  Cylinder   capacity            CO2 band
  1,400cc or less   140
  1,401cc to 2,000cc   175
  Over 2,000   225 or above

The HMRC website has details of the CO2 emissions amounts and the related fuel scale charges. The tables on the HMRC website show VAT inclusive scale charges applicable in each accounting period, depending on whether it is a 12 month, three month or one month accounting period.

Filed under: VAT

Dates and deadlines:April 2013

Posted by: edwinsmith on April 1st, 2013

1 April: Corporation tax payment for a company not within the instalment regulations: year ending 30 June 2012

Reduction in main rate of corporation tax to 23%. 

5 April: 2012/13 tax year end and end of month 12 for PAYE

6 April: Start of 2013/14 tax year and introduction of Real Time Information for PAYE

7 April: Online VAT return due to be filed and electronic payment of VAT due to be cleared into HMRC bank: quarter ended 28 February 2013

10 April: Direct debit VAT payment will be taken: quarter ended 28 February 2013

14 April: Submission of form CT61 and payment of tax due for: quarter ended 31 March 2013

19 April: CIS monthly return deadline: month ended 5 April 2013

19 April: Cheque payments for PAYE/NI, student loan and CIS to be cleared into HMRC bank: month ended 5 April 2013

22 April: Electronic PAYE/NI etc payments to be cleared into HMRC bank: month ended 5 April 2013

23 April: First Interest starts to accrue on unpaid 2012/13 PAYE

30 April: Company tax return CT600 due to HMRC: years ending 30 April 2012

30 April: Company accounts (Private Limited Co) due to be filed: years ending 31 July 2012

30 April: Company accounts (Public Companies) due to be filed: years ending 31 October 2012

1 May 2013: Corporation tax payment for company not within the instalment regulations: years ending 31 July 2012

Filed under: Dates and deadlines